Leaf blowers are perfect for getting the dirt and debris that may be stuck in small crevices or spaces. Unfortunately, these small and tight corners or areas are often unreachable by traditional brushes.
Additionally, your lawn or garden may have become overrun with leaves during the Autumn time, as leaves begin falling off the trees.
The idea behind a leaf blower is that it’s a highly pressurized and powerful air blower. The air that’s emitted from these devices is powerful enough to not only push leaves away in a specific direction but to also clean out dirt and debris from a specific area.
Through this guide, you’ll be able to find the best leaf blower for you and your home. No longer will your garden be overrun with leaves scattered all over the garden.
Our Top 5 Recommended Leaf Blowers:
What is a Leaf Blower?
A leaf blower is a simple tool which has an electric motor or an engine which propels air and a long nozzle in the front through which the air is released at high pressure.
The engines used initially in some leaf blowers were two-stroke engines, but due to some environmental issues, they were mostly replaced by four-stroke engines.
The more common ones are those which are handheld. If they are fitted with a vacuum then there is a small bag attached to it to collect the leaves and debris. Then there are those which are mounted as backpack units. These prove to be more ergonomic.
Advantages of Using a Leaf Blower:
It is still very natural for people to think that a leaf rake is better because it costs much less of course. However, there are many advantages of a leaf blower which makes it a better investment.
- The greatest advantage of having a leaf blower is that it saves a lot of time and energy while cleaning up the backyard or front lawn as compared to doing the same thing with a leaf rake.
- It is much easier to handle; all you need to do is start it with a push button and point the nozzle towards the debris and it is going to do the rest.
- You will be able to easily remove leaves from tight corners where it is impossible to put the rake.
- Those people with disabilities can also use leaf blowers with ease.
- Some leaf blowers can also be used as lawn vacuums so that you can readily shred them up and create mulch.
The Different Types of Leaf Blowers:
There are many different kinds of leaf blowers on the market. Out of these the electric leaf blowers are often preferred over the gas engine leaf blowers.
Both, however, are used to clear away leaves and debris from the yard. It all depends on personal preferences in the end. Let’s have a brief look at some of these types.
Electric Leaf Blower:
Electric leaf blower rate quite high as far as the convenience and light weight is concerned. However, these are mostly corded therefore they might obstruct mobility.
Because their weight is either 7lb. or less, they can easily be held in one hand. There is usually a single button in an electric leaf blower to start the machinery to avoid any hassle. It also has zero exhaust emissions.
For such a lightweight machine it has great power and strength to meet your clean up demands.
Gas Leaf Blower:
The gas leaf blower is also meant for one hand use. Its cordless mobility gives it an edge over the electric counterparts. However, it doesn’t operate on a single push button and you will have to yank a cord to start its engines.
As compared to the electric leaf blower, the gas leaf blower is a bit noisy so you will have to buy ear protection gear. They are also a bit heavier than the other ones.
Gas leaf blower comes in two-stroke engines and four-stroke engines as well. The four-stroke engines are more environment-friendly but they also make the machinery heavy.
Backpack Leaf Blower:
Backpack leaf blower is another version of this useful machinery and is perfect for cleaning up large places. Though it is best for a commercial purpose it can be used at home as well especially when the lawns or gardens in the estate are big.
Backpack leaf blower is built to allow comfortable performance. It is usually fitted with a back padding and comfortably sized harness so that the whole operation becomes very easy for the gardener. Its machinery is light but powerful enough to complete any job.
Cordless Leaf Blower:
The cordless leaf blower is like any other leaf blower but with the added advantage of being cordless. The cordless leaf blower has increased mobility making any yard clean up the job very easy.
Blower vacuum is somewhat different than the above-mentioned leaf blowers as this one has a vacuum fitted to it. Though it also cleans up the garage and yard, it is designed to suck in the leaves and debris and not blow it away.
It comes with a bag attached to it, where the leaves can be collected. Some of its models are also fitted with a shredder so that it can shred the debris while collecting it.
“Main Types of Leaf Blowers”
Choosing the Best Leaf Blower for Your Needs:
Since there are many types of leaf blowers available in the market, you need to be pretty sure of your requirement before heading on to buying it.
Besides the cost, there are many other things that need to be considered before making this decision.
How Large is the Job?
You need to answer this question to figure out whether you need a handheld device or a gas/electric blower. Usually, a small blower fits the needs of most people but for large and wooded areas, an expensive gas powered backpack blower will come handy.
Can You Use a Long Extension Cord?
Where you plan to use the leaf blower, can an extension cord reach? If yes then you can save a lot of money because an extension cord lets you use large electric leaf blowers farther away from home. On the other hand, if a cord is out of the question then you will have to opt for a gas blower.
Is Vacuum a Necessary Requirement?
Do you have to vacuum leaves? Most electric blowers can do this so that you can grind and mulch them for use later as mulch. If so, then make sure that you opt for a metallic impeller blade. A few handheld versions can vacuum as well although the vacuuming accessories are sold separately.
How Much Weight Can You Comfortably Carry?
Leaf blowers need to be carried around either by hand or on the back. Try to stick to a weight that you can manage easily.
Opting for a high powered blower that weighs a lot isn’t a good idea if you can’t take it all the way to the edge of your yard. Also consider the additional weight of gasoline, battery packs and so on. Normally corded electric leaf blowers weigh very less.
Noise Levels, Pollution, and Extra Features You May Want:
Jot down tertiary requirements that you have. You may want a quiet blower or one that is eco-friendly and so on. You may want an easy to maintain blower with good warranty coverage.
Just remember that regardless of the kind of blower you get, it will make noise. So purchase a pair of earplugs or an earmuff to protect against temporary deafness.
Now that you have narrowed down your requirements, here are five things that any leaf blower must possess.
- Enough Power: The best leaf blower comes with sufficient power. Note the wattage of the device if it’s an electric blower. For gas-powered blowers note the HP rating.
- Strong Airflow: Airflow is measured through CFM or in mph. This will tell you how effective a leaf blower is. Together power and airflow let you decide on a powerful blower.
- Variable Speed: Majority of leaf blowers allow users at least two to three-speed selections. Try to get something with at least three variable speeds. This helps when clearing leaves around delicate plants or flowerpots.
- Maintenance: Just like every mechanical or electrical device, your leaf blower will require being repaired. You must ensure that your leaf blower has repairable parts. Often, the spare parts of bigger leaf blower products are easily available. Moreover, they have a warranty period such that you might even get a replacement of the leaf blower if something goes wrong.
- Warranty Coverage: Many blowers come with long warranties but read the warranty statements more carefully because at times the warranty may not cover a particular defect. Its no use getting a blower with a limited warranty that hardly helps you in future.
“Leaf Blower Buying Guide”
The Basics of Using a Leaf Blower:
A leaf blower is pretty easy to use as it is a very simple piece of machinery. However, there are certain things which need to be taken care of so that your yard is cleaned up efficiently without it being a hazardous operation.
Below are some tips that you should follow as safety precautions when handling a leaf blower.
- If the leaf blower starts to vibrate a lot in the beginning then shut it down and try again after a short break. There are those that usually vibrate throughout the blowing but then they become very cumbersome in the operation and might prove to be very fatiguing to the arms and hands.
- It is better if you keep the task of cleaning up your yard or lawn on a dry day because trying to blow wet leaves and debris could be a messy job, not to mention difficult. Similarly, avoid using the leaf blower when it is already very windy outside. This is only going to add more work to your list.
- Wear a safety apparel or something protective over your clothing because it is indeed a messy business. Also, cover your ears with protective ear muffs as a leaf blower is quite noisy and continuous loud noise can damage ears. Similarly, you also need to protect your eyes. The strong air which blows from the nozzle blows leaves, broken twigs, splinters, and any small debris material. There is a lot of chance that something can get caught in the eye. To avoid the chance of damaging your eye, wear protective glasses.
- Select an area in your garden or backyard where you are going to collect all the leaves and debris. Start from one side, working your way to the other side. It is better to lay something over there on which all the leaves can be collected. It is easier to pick them up later on.
Before buying a leaf blower, read reviews and comparisons of various blowers to see which ones are most popular and why. After all, if you are investing the money for a new leaf blower, well, you want one that will blow you away.