The Best Electric Toothbrushes – 2017’s Guide and Reviews
This guide will help you find the best electric toothbrush so you can say goodbye to that old-school toothbrush and hello to a healthier smile.
Believe it or not, people will quickly judge you by the looks of your teeth and that is why it is always important that you keep them clean and nice looking or you will end up being the dirty mouthed one.
Brushing regularly (a couple of times daily) not only does it affect how beautiful your smile is, but it can actually affect your overall health too.
Gum disease is one of the major risk factors for the development of serious health condition including diabetes and heart diseases. From a very young age, we are all taught to use our toothbrushes regularly in order to keep our gums and teeth healthy. But, which toothbrush is the best to use?
You have two options when it comes to the brush you are going to use; electric or ordinary ones.
Ordinary toothbrushes are readily available and cheap but are not as good as their electric counterparts. Electric toothbrushes are much superior in many aspects and dentists advise that you get yourself one. They may be damn expensive but you can’t overemphasize on their quality and the good things they can do for your teeth.
So while it’s important you have a good toothbrush, we’ve compiled what we hope to be some very helpful electric toothbrush reviews to aid you in making a decision about which one is right for you.
- Electric Toothbrush Reviews – 2017’s Top Rated Picks!
- More 5 Electric Toothbrushes (Under $100)
- What is an Electric Toothbrush?
- Benefits of Using Electric Toothbrushes
- Different Types of Electric Toothbrushes
- Best Electric Toothbrush – Notable Features
- Electric Toothbrush VS. Manual Toothbrush
- Electric Toothbrush Frequently Asked Questions
The Top 5 Best Electric Toothbrushes of 2017:
While there are a number of models to choose from, we think we’ve combed through all the relevant electric toothbrush reviews out there and believe we have come up with the options that deserve the title: the best electric toothbrush.
For more information, click on the toothbrush’s name.
Sonicare DiamondClean (5 Cleaning Modes):
Sonicare’s top rechargeable electric toothbrush is the DiamondClean. It is jam-packed with features that will leave you feeling like you just had a professional cleaning.
Sonicare has taken a powerful and effective line of electric toothbrushes and gone to the next level with the DiamondClean. From the sleek design to the new bristle head, this toothbrush will not disappoint.
Like all Sonicare models, the DiamondClean uses patented sonic technology for a gentle but incredibly effective cleaning.
The DiamondClean can generate 31,000 brush strokes per minute. It would take you a month to produce that many brush strokes with your old manual toothbrush. Put technology to work for you and have cleaner teeth to show for it.
Better Plaque Removal:
Many Sonicare toothbrushes can remove twice as much plaque as a manual toothbrush. With the advances made to the DiamondClean, it can remove 5 times more plaque than a manual brush. One of the major reasons for this improvement is the new brush heads.
The use diamond shaped bristles. This creates more surface area so more of your teeth get brushed with each stroke. The head is also a thinner profile making it easier to reach hard to reach places in the back for your mouth.
Custom Cleaning Modes:
In addition to a new bristle shape, the Sonicare DiamondClean offers 5 different brushing modes. Each mode has its own intended goals. These cleaning modes allow you to customize your brushing experience to meet your individual needs.
Like many of its predecessors, the Sonicare DiamondClean has many additional features that won’t be found on low-end models.
One feature we love is the quadrant timer. This is a built-in timer that beeps after ¼ of the brushing cycle is complete. This is intended to make sure you spend equal and adequate time on each surface of your teeth.
You brush the bottom outside until it beeps then switch to the bottom inside until it beeps and so forth. This ensures an even, complete brushing every time.
Another feature that will not be found on any other model is the unique charging options. One method is a “glass shaped” charge which is pretty neat. It’s much prettier when sitting on your sink.
Another charging option is a “USB” enabled travel case to allow you to charge your toothbrush from your laptop. Your travel case is also your charger! They have thought of everything this time.
Amazon customers are overall very happy with this brush giving it a 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Reviewers typically credit the good scores to the clean feeling of their teeth, the travel charger, and the brushing modes. Critics typically cite the cost. Some suggest it may not be worth an upgrade if you already own a Sonicare. We would imagine this depends on the model you previously own. If you are just going up one level, perhaps it’s not.
With all these features it is no surprise to learn that the DiamondClean is one of the most expensive toothbrushes on the market.
However, it is also one of the most effective. It is expensive, but by looking for a Sonicare coupon you may be able to save a few dollars. Also, think of the money you could save by not having to visit the dentist so often.
How much is 5 times improvement in plaque removal worth to you?
- This is a pricey brush.
- Replacement heads are expensive.
Oral-B Pro 7000 (6 Cleaning Modes):
Dentists worldwide recommend Oral-B and they consider it as the number one toothbrush brand. Their Healthy Clean + Floss Action Precision 7000 rechargeable electric toothbrush is one of the best out there.
The only downside of this product is its price tag. It costs $143.97 and many people would consider that as nothing but total insanity. Quality and performance always come at a price and that is the case with this Oral-B toothbrush.
The price tag should therefore not be an obstacle in buying yourself this top class and fantastic toothbrush.
It’s, in fact, the best-selling toothbrush at Amazon and currently has 3,200+ customer reviews, and from the look of this you can easily guess its popularity and that gives you more reasons to consider buying it.
If you are considering spending money on this Oral-B brush, here are some of its top features:
- It is the number one recommended toothbrush in the world by dentists.
- It has a 60-day money back guarantee but what does that mean for you? If for any reason you are not satisfied with the product, you are advised to return it and you get a full refund of whatever you have paid. There is definitely nothing to loose if you are going to get a full refund if the product does not meet your expectations.
- It comes with a wireless SmartGuide that provides real-time feedback to guide brushing.
- It’s clinically proven technology pulsates to break up plaque and oscillates and rotates. It easily sweeps away plaque and ensures maximum oral hygiene.
- It has dentist inspired FlossAction brush head to loosen plaque in-between the teeth.
- It greatly improves gum health and is more effective than most other electric toothbrush brands.
- It has battery life that can go as long as 2 weeks if you use it 2 times a day and each session lasting 2 full minutes.
- It has a replaceable head and you can change the head as often as you would like.
- It has a professional timer to ensure thorough cleaning.
- It has pressure sensor indicator for effective and gentle plaque removal.
- It is perfect for sensitive teeth.
- Costs more than most other Oral-B toothbrushes.
- Charging takes too long.
Oral-B Pro 5000 (5 Cleaning Modes):
The Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries is another excellent electric toothbrush worth spending your money on. To be honest, it is not as great as the precision 7000 series (as reviewed above) but is still one of the best high-end electric toothbrushes in the market today.
It also looks like users are happy with this product and the reviews on Amazon could be a testament to this.
So far it has 2,100+ customer reviews and most of them are positive and have nothing but praise for its performance and reliability. Those reviews alone will give you an indication of how good this electric toothbrush is.
If you are not certain if this toothbrush is best for you, below are some of its good features that may convince you to consider buying it:
- The Professional 5000 oscillates 8,800 times and pulsates 40,000 times per minute.
- It offers 5 modes; Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening, Massage, and Deep Clean. Deep clean has been shown to remove 99.7% of plaque from hard-to-reach places.
- A unique feature of the Oral-B Professional Series is that it has a pressure sensor that stops the pulsating if you start pushing too hard. This is great for people who are told by their dentist that they brush too hard.
- The 5000 model also includes a SmartTimer which is a clock-like display that counts down your 2-minute brushing. The lower models do not have this timer or massage mode.
- It improves gum health even better than Sonicare FlexCare electric toothbrush of Philips.
- Satisfaction is guaranteed and if not you get a full refund. Try it for 60 days and return it if you feel it’s not worth the money.
- Whiter and cleaner teeth are guaranteed thanks to dentist-inspired ProWhite refill brush head that polishes each and every teeth.
- It has LED handle display that shows you charge life. This enables you to know when to charge the device so that you don’t run out of power.
- Battery life is not good.
- Comes with one brush head.
- More expensive than similar models.
Sonicare FlexCare RS930 (3 Cleaning Modes):
The Philips Sonicare FlexCare Toothbrush with Sanitizer uses the most advanced innovative technology which uses advanced teeth and gum care technology for improved health, feel and look of your teeth.
This toothbrush has 3 brushing modes: sensitive, massage and clean. There are also 2 personalized cleaning routines, Go Care for 1-minute quick cycle brushing and Max Care for 3 minutes extended cleaning.
The toothbrush’s head is contoured to fit, has wide bristle range and a unique neck angle to increase coverage and to clean deep and easily with a 2-minute timer to ensure you brush long enough.
The Philips Sonicare FlexCare brush also has a UV light sanitizer that will go a long way to prevent tooth decay over the years and reduce the number of visits to the dentist.
This device comes with two brushes: a larger sized brush for overall cleaning as well as a smaller one for precision cleaning.
An average of 65 percent of users who bought this rechargeable toothbrush with from Amazon rated the brush with 5 out of 5 points for efficiency and quality of cleaning. The brush scored an average of 4.1 stars out of the possible 5.
If you are thinking to buy this electric toothbrush, here are some of its top features:
- Most users are very happy with the timer feature, especially the quad pacer that alerts you to clean all the 4 quadrants of the mouth equally.
- Flexible cleaning modes make it simple and easy to use. The different modes are useful for people with different needs, including those with sensitive teeth.
- The 2 brush heads are very convenient for thorough cleaning of the mouth, smaller head for the hard to reach areas and the larger head for the easy to reach areas.
- The Philips Sonicare rechargeable toothbrush with Sanitizer is very powerful and makes a big difference in the health of the mouth including the teeth and the gums after just a short time’s use.
- Go Care and Max Care modes make brushing easy to set up and use depending on needs.
- UV sanitizing technology kills germs on the toothbrush head.
- Compact multi-voltage and light travel charger.
- Not durable.
- It is distinctly noisy.
Philips Sonicare HX6972/10 (5 Cleaning Modes):
The Philips Sonicare Plus HX6972/10 is the ultimate solution for a complete oral care. It features 5 brushing modes and utilizes patented sonic technology to remove plaque between the teeth and along the gums to reduce risks of gingivitis and in the process improve the health of the gums as well as the teeth.
This toothbrush is contoured to eradicate plaque along the gum line and has a convenient backlighting to indicate the selected brushing modes. It also has a UV brush sanitizer that kills up to 99 percent of viruses and bacteria on the head of the brush.
With the Philips HX6972/10, you will only need to apply some light pressure on the brush to clean the teeth and the gums. There’s also an Easy-start option that boosts the power of the toothbrush over the initial 12 uses so you may adjust to the sonic technology gradually.
This best electric toothbrush is a highly rated product on Amazon. The toothbrush scored an average of 4.1 stars out of the possible 5 with 66 percent of the customers who bought and used it giving it a clean 5 points.
The most outstanding points of this rechargeable toothbrush are:
- The design is great, the case is more compact than the older design, the brush is slimmer and the charger is small and convenient.
- The toothbrush is more powerful and cleans the teeth as well as the gums thoroughly. The head is narrow and can even clean the harder to reach areas.
- The Philips HX6972/10 toothbrush is very easy to use, it charges fast and the different modes very effective in providing a whole mouth care.
- A nice display on the handle that displays the settings chosen and the battery light.
- The battery on the toothbrush can be used for over three weeks on a single charge.
- Comes in all-in-one unit: sanitizing, charging and storage.
- Patented sonic technology stimulates gums by driving fluids.
- The recharging base of this toothbrush is much wide.
- So expensive.
More 5 Electric Toothbrushes (Under $100):
Electric toothbrushes have increasingly gained popularity in the past few years. This is mainly due to the benefits that they have. They are effective in preventing gum disease, removing plaque, and cleaning teeth as compared to the manual toothbrush.
The best electric toothbrushes in the market today have a number of positive features. Below are some of the favorite models of 2017:
Oral-B Professional 1000 (2 Cleaning Modes):
The toothbrushes produced by this manufacturer are durable and provide careful cleaning of every tooth in your mouth. One of such toothbrushes is Oral-B Professional Care 1000.
The device has a brush head which resembles a dentist instrument used for cleaning teeth. It’s not as efficient as the dentist’s brush, but features surrounding and cleaning every tooth and removing a single strain from its surface.
When you clean teeth with a manual toothbrush you remove only 50% of plaque from the teeth while this device with its pulsating round head removes up to 100% of plaque. The pulsation is automatically adjusted so that if you brush teeth too hard it will stop.
There are some modes of work – a regular cleaning mode for 2 minutes of cleaning and also a sensitive clean for sensitive teeth and gums. The toothbrush also has a floss function as it gently cleans deep between teeth. Removing plaque daily you will whiten your teeth without special tools or visit a dentist.
Philips Sonicare Easy Clean (1 Cleaning Mode):
Philips Sonicare 2 Series is really slim and comfortable in use especially for those who don’t like big handles that electric toothbrushes usually have. However, it performs all cleaning jobs that electric brushes usually perform.
This best electric toothbrush performs gentle vibrations during the process of cleaning. Due to these vibrations, the brush head removes plaque from the teeth and sweeps it away.
Removing plaque and surface stains allows whitening teeth naturally within several weeks.
The device provides 2-minute timer for your convenience so that you don’t need to note down the time when you started brushing teeth – the toothbrush will show you when you need to stop.
The brush is rechargeable and should be charged carefully as the charger should not get into water or connect with it in any way.
Philips Sonicare 2 Series (1 Cleaning Mode):
First of all, this is the most affordable member of the list, at just under $50. You’re really not going to find a quality toothbrush that will cost you less than that. However, being that it’s from Philips means you’re not just throwing that money away.
It also has a number of features that can actually lead to cleaner teeth. For example, the model drives fluid along the gum line and even between your teeth to reach those tough-to-hit spots. Plus, it has a timer to ensure you’re spending enough time brushing—this is a great feature.
Despite the low price, you still get plenty of toothbrushes. This model also comes with a charger (so you don’t have to worry it’s the cheap kind with replaceable batteries) as well as a nice travel case.
Philips Sonicare Essence Power (1 Cleaning Mode):
The variety of electric toothbrushes on the market is really wide. One of the represented models is Philips Sonicare Essence Power Toothbrush. It’s a device which provides cleaning your teeth efficiently for a long time.
The brush has a comfortable handle which provides soft grip. It is usually charged with an included charge base, and the charged brush will serve you no less than 2 weeks so you can take it with you while traveling.
The brush provides ultra-high speed which allows cleaning teeth more efficiently. If you are a smoker and like to drink coffee, you may buy this brush, and in 28 days you’ll notice that your teeth look much whiter. It’s due to the high-speed bristles which remove 80% of tobacco and coffee stains.
For those who’d like to clean teeth under all rules, there’s a timer for 2 minutes so you’ll use the brush as long as it’s necessary.
- The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser removes up to 99.9% of plaque with just flossing a minute a day.
- This water flosser is great for braces, bridges, periodontal pockets and implants. You don’t have to worry about damages done to your dental work and it gets all the plaque from your teeth at the same time.
- You can choose the water-pressure setting for your teeth and gums. You can select a setting between 10 and 90 PSI.
- This device is comfortable to hold. It also offers a quieter motor.
- There are six tips included for multiple users. There is also an orthodontic tip offered for those with braces.
- The Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser doesn’t just clean the gum line but also gets between the teeth to remove hidden plaque.
- A tongue cleaner to get bacteria off the tongue which no traditional floss can do. Your mouth will not only feel healthier but will be healthier.
What is an Electric Toothbrush?
An electric toothbrush is any toothbrush that has a powered bristle head. They come in various shapes, sizes, and price ranges. You can find some “electric” toothbrushes for under $10 but these are powered by disposable batteries and are designed more as a disposable toothbrush than an oral hygiene tool.
The best electric toothbrushes which we discussed are rechargeable, more durable, and more effective. Sonicare is the number one brand recommended by dentists but Oral-B has some competitive models on the market too. These brushes use a powered brush head that rapidly oscillates to give your teeth a deep clean.
Benefits of Using Electric Toothbrushes:
The most outstanding benefits of using electric toothbrush are:
- Faster Brushing. An electric toothbrush will guarantee a faster brushing. You can’t move your hand as fast when using an ordinary toothbrush. The bristles of an electric toothbrush swirl over the teeth rapidly and thereby eliminating plaque and food particles easily.
- Deep Cleaning. It is well known that ordinary toothbrushes don’t reach hard to brush parts of the tooth but that is not the case with electric ones. They are designed in a such a way that they reach hard to reach places.
- Painless Cleaning. Most ordinary toothbrushes have sharp ends that make brushing difficult but electric ones are the exact opposite. They are soft and guarantee painless cleaning of the teeth.
- Fresher Breath. Bad breath or halitosis is obviously the last thing you would want. You definitely don’t want your mouth to stink every time you open it and ruin the day of the people near you. To avoid halitosis you should always maintain the hygiene of your oral cavity and there is no better way than doing it with the right electric toothbrush.
- Best for sensitive teeth. Some of us have very sensitive teeth that are painful to brush and that is where an electric toothbrush helps. They have features that help you brush your sensitive teeth with ease without any pain or discomfort.
- They are perfect for people with dexterity issues. If you have conditions such as arthritis, limited mobility in your hands or arms, you are advised to used electric toothbrushes. That is in fact what the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends.
- They have built in timers that make sure that you brush the teeth the proper amount of time.
- They are greener and less harmful to the environment than their ordinary counterparts.
Different Types of Electric Toothbrushes:
There are many different kinds on the market, below we will show you how they each work.
These types of electric toothbrushes rotate back and forth in a circular motion. The brush head is round and it moves back and forth in very quick speed bursts. The round brush head is intended to clean around the entire tooth before cleaning the next tooth.
These kinds of toothbrushes have a similar head design as a rotating brush, however, the bristles move in various directions at the same time – each bristle spinning in the other direction, in relation to those alongside it.
Having a head that appears just like a typical manual toothbrush, these electric toothbrushes have got specific tufts of bristles which will move in reverse paths to adjoining ones.
Since the name suggests, this kind of electric toothbrushes has got 2 heads – a counter-oscillating head along with a conventional fixed head. The reasoning pertaining to these types of designs is apparently more and more bristles signifies far better cleaning – on the other hand, professionals are not confident and believe all these toothbrushes are somewhat of a trick.
Rotation Electric Toothbrush:
Product sales involving rotation brushes create a tremendous portion of the electric toothbrush marketplace. Just like the name suggests, rotation toothbrushes have got a group of rotating bristles. Bristles are organized in a circle which rotates, so particular tufts of bristles can spin freely.
Side to Side:
As opposed to rotating, these brushes – including products in the well-known Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush – vibrate back and forth. You have to press the brush laterally towards your teeth and the brush head goes up and down. Back and fourth toothbrushes can also be found.
These types of electric toothbrushes vibrate up against your teeth in an ultrasonic rate – greater than 1,000 vibrations per minute and up to 40,000 vibrations and help to remove plaque. These are the best electric toothbrushes in the market today.
Best Electric Toothbrush – Notable Features:
There are a number of different features available in an electric toothbrush and they will vary from model to model. Aside from the awesome power of the brush heads, here are some other features to consider:
Arguably the most important feature. This built-in timer will stop the brush after 2 minutes to ensure you have brushed long enough. Some models have a “quad pacer” that will beep after 30 seconds so you know you can move on the next quarter or “quadrant” of your mouth.
Disposable Brush Heads:
Just like a manual brush, the bristles will eventually break down. Have no fear you can just put a new brush head on. Some models will accommodate various brush head sizes and bristle firmness.
These toothbrushes have pressure sensors that enable the user to know the exact amount of pressure that needs to be applied to the toothbrush. This is great for people with sensitive teeth who tend to brush too hard.
All of the models we review have rechargeable, built-in batteries. However, there are some cheaper brushes on the market that use disposable batteries.
UV sanitizers are useful for getting rid of the germs and bacteria that may be on the toothbrush. This UV sanitizer comes in handy for individuals who value cleanliness.
You should also put into consideration the power setting before you buy an electric brush. The power setting should be in such a way that it can be reduced or increased as required by the user. A lower power setting is ideal for small children considering the fact that they have smaller mouths as well as fragile gums.
“How to Choose an Electric Toothbrush”
Also, there are many important factors to consider when choosing the appropriate toothbrush.
- Costs of the Toothbrush: You need to keep in mind that electric toothbrushes are more expensive as compared to a manual toothbrush. However, the range is usually between $50 to $200 depending on the features that you want. It is important to invest in an appropriate toothbrush since oral health and a great smile is very important. Hence, quality should be considered as compared to the price.
- Head Size: Most brands of electric toothbrushes have a variety of head sizes and not all sizes may suit you. Adults have a bigger mouth and bigger head size suits them best. Kids, on the other hand, have a smaller mouth and it is therefore recommended you buy them smaller head sized brushes.
- Warranty: Electric toothbrushes are damn expensive and the last thing you would want is a defective one that has no warranty. When buying insist on those that have a warranty so that you don’t suffer huge losses if it fails to function for one reason or another.
- Noise and vibration: This may seem petty but it is a key standard. Some electrical toothbrushes are too noisy that it is difficult to use them without disturbing the rest of the family. Before you buy one, test and listen to the sound. The quieter, the better.
- Meeting Personal Needs: Electric toothbrushes are designed to meet the personal needs of the individual that is using them. A person with orthodontics or braces can get a brush that is excellent for this purpose. Others have special designs with additional features to make them perfect for children. These specialized toothbrushes give specialized cleaning for the particular needs of different users.
Electric Toothbrush VS. Manual Toothbrush:
Many dentists will tell you that you can achieve optimal dental health by flossing and using a manual toothbrush. While this is true, most people don’t do either of these things properly, which results in poor oral health.
Many argue that what makes an electric toothbrush more effective at plaque removal is that it makes the user more likely to brush properly and thus effectively. Most electric toothbrushes have a built in timer that ensures that you brush your teeth for the recommended 2 minutes.
A Look at the Research:
Many clinical studies have shown that various electric toothbrush models are more effective at reducing plaque than a manual brush. For example, a randomized control study of 106 adults tested the Sonicare DiamondClean (with three different heads) and a standard manual toothbrush.
The study tested single-use efficacy in plaque removal and the findings were significant. They found that the two DiamondClean heads removed significantly more plaque than the manual brush.
In fact, the DiamondClean Compact head resulted in almost 100% more plaque removal in hard-to-reach places compared to the manual brush. We find it interesting to note that the results differed between Sonicare replacement heads.
Another Study also looked at the Sonicare DiamondClean compared to a manual toothbrush. The goal was to evaluate the ability of the Sonicare DiamondClean to reduce gingivitis and gingival bleeding, as well as the removal of plaque compared to a manual toothbrush over time. This differs from the previous study mainly because they were studying more long-term than immediate effects.
142 adults completed the randomized clinical study. Subjects were assigned a brush for the next four weeks and were assessed at 2 and 4 weeks. The results were astounding.
The results found that the Sonicare was up to 2x more effective at reducing gingivitis and gum bleeding relative to a manual toothbrush. Furthermore, the DiamondClean was up to 5x more effective at removing plaque.
Which is Better?
So what do you think? Electric toothbrush vs. manual toothbrush? Is it possible to effectively clean your teeth with a manual toothbrush? Sure. But why would you when an electric toothbrush will do it so much better.
There are countless other studies out there that show how much more effective electric toothbrushes can be. Studies like these are why we believe that best electric toothbrush is the DiamondClean.
“Electric vs. Manual Toothbrushes: Which to Choose?”
Electric Toothbrush Frequently Asked Questions:
Are electric toothbrushes really more effective than manual ones?
Usually, but not always. A high-quality electric toothbrush, when used correctly, will give anywhere from a mild to a moderate improvement in oral hygiene over a manual.
After all, most dentists recommend using an electric toothbrush for a reason. Remember, though, that any toothbrush will only be effective if used correctly.
Make sure you brush for the dentist recommended time of 2 minutes at least twice a day, and always follow the directions that come with your toothbrush to optimize use.
If I use an electric toothbrush, do I still need to use other dental products?
Yes, if you want good dental health, it’s still valuable to use dental floss and sometimes a mouth wash. Also, make sure you still use a fluoride toothpaste with your brush, as some people mistakenly think this is unnecessary.
Flossing once a day will do wonders in preventing gum disease, halitosis, and cavities. You don’t have to wait to floss until before bed or after a meal either; flossing is valuable at any time of the day.
What are the main differences between various electric toothbrush models?
The main difference in electric toothbrushes is how the brush heads are operated. One type is called rotation-oscillation, where the circular head spins back and forth in quick bursts. This is found in most Oral-B models.
Another common type is ultra-sonic vibration, which has the added bonus of cleaning by causing vibrating saliva. This style is popular among Sonicare models.
Both methods are proven to be effective. Other styles of electric toothbrushes are side-to-side, circular, and counter oscillation, which is where bristles rotate in different directions simultaneously.
Are electric toothbrushes a new invention?
No, in fact, they are surprisingly old. The first electric toothbrush was made around 1880, though there were not any reliable consumer models until around 1939, which first appeared in Sweden. It wasn’t until 1960 that the first American electric toothbrush models were produced.
The first American model was called the Broxodent and was intended for users that suffered from limited motor skills. However, it wasn’t until the early 1980‘s that electric toothbrushes started to gain widespread popularity.
I’ve never owned an electric toothbrush. Which should I buy first?
You can start by reading our reviews and see if you can find one right for you. If you’re not 100% sure you need one and want to try a cheap electric toothbrush, the Oral-B Vitality is a good place to start. If you don’t care about price and just want the best electric toothbrush, it’s hard to beat the Sonicare FlexCare.
Have You Decided?
That is a lot of information to consume but we hope that it has helped to steer you in the right direction. Nobody can say for certain what the best electric toothbrush is because what some people like, others do not.
Let us know what toothbrush you’re using (or planning to buy) in the comments below and why you think yours is the best one.